FORUM / BULLETIN BOARD / COMMUNITY SPACE

Author   Comment  
cswforum

Reply with quote  #1 

Inner Split.jpg 

What’s your greatest fear... about fully embodying and expressing your Spirit-work?

What are the thoughts your mind throws up to stop you from taking risks, expressing your truth and being more fully yourself?

"I can’t say that......
     "I would be ridiculed... or I’d be too embarrassed...
     "I’d lose my job... (or they wouldn’t hire me)
     "People won’t respect/accept me...

Or perhaps it's something else. But these are the kinds of “challenging” thoughts we’ll be talking about at this Saturday’s breakfast.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had these types of thoughts 'in spades' over the years (especially since starting my spiritual journey). I still do. And I hear them in people around me too.

My belief is that everyone wants to bring more of themselves, their truths, ideas, love or ‘spirit,’ into what they do. So why don’t we see more of it? I think it’s because people are afraid. Deep down, there’s a belief that we can’t really say/do what’s true to us AND be accepted.

Whether it’s speaking about “spirituality” in professional circles, or talking about “money” in spiritual circles. Saying “no” to an employer about working longer hours, or listening to our intuition, feelings or truths and acting on them. Talking about “consciousness” or metaphysical beliefs around religious people, or talking spirit/religion with those who are more secular or scientific. So a part of us says, “better to play it safe.” And we pull ourselves back from taking the risk to express more fully who we are.

That doesn’t mean we always ‘throw pearls before swine’ – or say everything we think, feel or believe, to everyone. That’s not appropriate either, because that can cause more of a disconnection than a connection. In my learning, it’s about listening to our ‘still’ inner voice – that intuition, spirit or wisdom within – to know what’s right or appropriate in each situation.

However... with that said, what I’ve also found is that my fears keep telling me NOT to risk. It’s like a default position inside. “Don’t be bold. Don’t be open. Don’t say that.” It’s a deep-seated belief that others cannot handle who I am or what I believe. And therefore I hold back, thinking that I’m ‘taking care’ of them and myself. But what I’m really doing is just the opposite. I’m telling the world that I don’t trust it.

During the past year, my greater learning has been to ‘come out with it.’ Take a small risk. Say it. Gently offer my ideas, beliefs or ‘truths’ when prompted to inside. Not to impose these on others, but to see if it creates an opening, a bridge into where the other person is – but one that I wouldn’t have expected or predicted. Only my intuition could have taken me there. And it works, to take the conversation deeper. I’m a bit dumfounded, but it works.

Yet it’s still hard for me... and that’s why I’d like to talk with you more about it.

Hope you can make it on Saturday. But if you can’t, read the questions in our event flyer to reflect on your own experiences. Feel free to post your thoughts or experiences below. Or email me at eric@spiritualityatwork.org 

SilverGirl

Forum User
Reply with quote  #2 
Initial connections...

"From a whisper start..." [smile] -John Hiatt

"I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be." -Joseph Campbell

"If you have a deep scar, that is a door. If you have an old, old story, that is a door. If you love the sky and the water so much you almost cannot bear it, that is a door. If you yearn for a deeper life, a full life, a sane life, that is a door.” -Clarissa Pinkola Estes

You speak of bridges, I answer with doors...

As someone to whom you have said, "Out with it," this paragraph of yours stood out to me the most:
"However... with that said, what I’ve also found is that my fears keep telling me NOT to risk. It’s like a default position inside. “Don’t be bold. Don’t be open. Don’t say that.” It’s a deep-seated belief that others cannot handle who I am or what I believe. And therefore I hold back, thinking that I’m ‘taking care’ of them and myself. But what I’m really doing is just the opposite. I’m telling the world that I don’t trust it."

It stood out for me because it resonates for me, too. Risking/trusting can be such a slow, tentative thing. Agonizing even. This wanting to be seen/heard, longing so much to be genuine and not have to hide behind masks... Yet finding it so protective to shy away. Why share IT (whatever IT is)? Because it can get so loud inside if you don't, or something urges you to because whatever IT is really is beautiful, and should be shared. Even if we've been shamed, or silenced. Sometimes others need that thing- we encourage them not to hide, we inspire them. You know, maybe you- Eric- inspire people [smile] With your workshops, your speaking, your sharing- your DARING.

My story was going to be about inspiration, and how that can get the little voices started (and maybe you're thinking, "Oh great!"), but cannonball keeps coming up for me. So maybe it is safe/okay to make a splash. What do you think?? Keep talking/writing! Keep taking those leaps! MAKE A SPLASH, and then soak up the sun. You encourage me to [smile] Hey, let's empty the pool.

Forum User
Reply with quote  #3 
This topic speaks to me, so I think I'll start a new thread so that I don't hijack yours [smile] (See An Invitation... for my thread).

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Silver Girl,

Thank you...

Thank you for your doors...
your feedback...

for your cannonball...

and your encouragement to make a splash [smile]

I feel a little more willing inside, after reading this.

(Thanks for your 'whisper.')

Eric
(aka "cswforum" [wink])

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.