FORUM / BULLETIN BOARD / COMMUNITY SPACE

Author   Comment  
Centre for Spirit/Work

Reply with quote  #1 
Centre for Spirituality at Work:  An Ending... or a Beginning?

Dear Friends,

This is a difficult email for me to write…

In June, I came to the realization that the Centre is no longer serving its highest purpose and needs to undergo significant change. The signs of this are many, from low participation in programs to lack of energy in the network, insufficient income, my desire to work more collaboratively, and a call to new work.

After a summer’s discernment, I now believe it is time to close down the Centre as it currently exists – and invite a shared ‘re-birth’ (if people want it), with a new vision of what we are, more people at the core, and a new way of operating that truly serves everyone in our network. 

I am saddened by the need to do this and find it hard to let go. There are also the lingering doubts/questions: “Have I failed? Should I have done more? Is this the right thing to do?” And with that comes some fear. Yet I also know my spirit is prompting this. I don’t want to be afraid of endings or change. (If caterpillars can do it, so can we.) And my growing strength & clarity within tell me it is time...

This doesn’t mean I am leaving the Centre entirely. In the next few months, there will continue to be some newsletters, programs & services, to bridge the transition. However, it is now time to say “goodbye” to what was – and begin the process of transformation, to see if there is a collective will to create something new. 

With that, I’d like to share:  My Thanks... a possible Vision... and some Next Steps.

1) Thank You

First, I want to say thanks to Sherry (Connolly) Mikelic, who founded the Centre and guided it for so long. To all the people who have taught, facilitated and volunteered these past 14 years. To our partnering organizations (most recently St. Andrew’s United Church!). And to all of you who have participated in our events and given your support/prayers.

The Centre has provided us with an amazing opportunity: to speak openly about Spirit in relation to our work, and to connect with people of different beliefs, across the boundaries of faith, spirituality and consciousness. We have been very fortunate to have had this gift.

I’m also thankful to have been its Director for the past 20+ months. During this time, I have grown hugely – from opening up my spiritual voice to offering new programs and engaging in many deep & rich conversations. It has also pushed me to expand my spiritual worldview, and bring together 35 years of personal work in understanding how to create ‘positive change.’ For all these reasons, I am deeply grateful.

2) A Possible Vision for the future...

I would like to see the Centre come peacefully to rest – or truly begin to fly and serve ALL of us. To do that, we will need a new ‘picture’ of what it is for, with new people guiding it; and, I believe, a fundamental shift – from one person ‘running the centre’ to a shared “web” of co-creation – that allows people anywhere to contribute content, offer programs, connect with others, and grow their work and ‘the group’ at the same time.

Why? Because more than “a Centre,” we are a network of close to 900 people – half in/near Toronto, and the rest across the Province and around the globe. People with high vision, fascinating work, and valuable services, products, skills & ideas that need to be shared/used. Perhaps the ‘way ahead’ is to support each other in growing our own work, and one another's, so that collectively we bring more spirit, heart and soul into the world.

Some see “spirit at work” as passé or a past fad. However, I think it is actually more important now than ever before. We live in an era of unprecedented challenge & change; a time in which our spiritual wisdom will be crucial in guiding our work, our lives, and our evolution to a more loving/soulful human race. I, for one, want MORE support, community and collaboration in doing this, not less.  So what about you?

3) Next Steps

If you want to be part of the conversation – and the re-birth, if this is what people decide – here is my invitation:

Wherever you live/work, turn within and connect with your unique wisdom/spirit. Listen for how you feel it is guiding us to connect and grow this work, and your own. And consider these questions:

Do you think a centre/network/organization is needed? 
- especially since other organizations now exist such as Conscious Capitalism, Evolving Wisdom, Humanity’s Purpose, the Shift Network, and more...

What would you like it to be and do?
 - How could it help enrich/grow the work you love or wish you could do?

How would you like to contribute or guide it?
- What would light you up, get your jets going, or support the work you care about?
- Do you have ideas for next steps, or making this a ‘web of co-creation’?
- Do you want to become one of the ‘stewards’ of something new?

Now share your ideas: here on the Bulletin Board...  by email with me... 
or at an upcoming meeting (see below) – and let’s see where our collective wisdom takes us.

Thanks again for everything. For your past involvement and support; for reading this and contributing;
and for doing the work that YOU do, wherever you are.

All the best,

Eric Hellman
Director
Centre for Spirituality at Work

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To read/post your thoughts on our Bulletin Board, click here. 

Email them to me
at:  eric@spiritualityatwork.org

Or join us at one of our next events:

Breakfast, Sat. Sept 27th
 -or-  Discussion Evening, Wed. Oct 1st 

Breakfast: Sat. Sept 27th, 10:00 a.m.
Location: St. Andrew's United Church, 117 Bloor East (near Yonge), Toronto

Discussion Evening: Wed. Oct 1st, 7:00 p.m.
Location: St. Andrew's United Church, 117 Bloor East (near Yonge), Toronto

Please RSVP if you are coming to: eric@spiritualityatwork.org

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.