FORUM / BULLETIN BOARD / COMMUNITY SPACE

Author   Comment  
cswforum

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello All,
We've just learned that the daughter of Michael Rock, a long-time friend of the Centre, died of ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease on January 12, 2014. 

Siobhán Rock was a teacher,  athlete and mother of two - and woman who was passionate about life. At her memorial, the following quote was used to describe Siobhán and the spirituality that emboldened her to live life to the fullest:

Life should not be a journey to the grave
    with the intention of arriving safely
    in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke,
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming:
    "Wow! What a Ride!"
           -Hunter S. Thompson

Michael has created a website in her memory, called "Siobhán's Journey of Inspiring Stories," at: http://www.conversations-with-siobhan.com.
And the full text of his letter is provided below.

Our thoughts, prayers and condolences are with Michael and Siobhán's family.
If you want to contact him directly, please do so at: worthplace@gmail.com.

Centre for Spirituality at Work

From Michael Rock:

Dear friends,

I first want to say thank you for all your kind notes, e-mails, telephone calls and funeral home/mass visits. Very comforting.

True to her widespread popularity, Siobhán's outreach was incredible. The following are estimates, but numbers provided to me by ALS Ottawa, visitors, etc. The Friday evening wake at Beechwood Cemetery (January 17) contained a line-up from 6:00 - 9:15 pm; some had to wait 45 minutes just to get up close. The funeral mass at St. Patrick's Basilica at 9:30 am (January 18) had, according to two officials, between 700-800 people; and the reception after at Beechwood again was in the hundreds as well. The food (sandwiches, cheeses, desserts, etc.) were delicious. 12 of the Oblate priests with whom I live at Deschâtelets Residence (next to Saint Paul University) concelebrated the funeral mass on Saturday. The music was incredibly beautiful.

While there was sadness, there was great joy that Siobhán was now free, and in eternity. I would encourage all of you to visit the homepage of the website I created for her: http://www.conversations-with-siobhan.com. There you will see the bookmark (scanned both sides) that was created in her honour. The quote on the reverse side beautifully describes Siobhán and the spirituality that emboldened her to live life to the fullest:

Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and loudly proclaiming:
"Wow! What a Ride!"
     -Hunter S. Thompson

That was Siobhán: literally totally used up, still sliding in broadside, and exclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!" To see earlier proof of that, even when she had ALS, is to watch Video #3 when she went skydiving, all taped up and carried into the small aircraft for the jump. What a wonderful daughter! I have been so well blessed. She had just turned 42. The babies are now 4.6 and 2.5 years respectively.

I will be keeping up the website because I told Siobhán when we both worked on it in the early stages of her ALS that it would be her legacy. Seven days after she had died, there were over 11,000 visitors to the website! I thought the CBC News account at 6:00 pm on Monday, January 13, 2014 (linked on the homepage) was a wonderful summary; it was also very tender.

Again, thank you for walking the journey with Siobhán and me these past 2.5 years. When actor Paul Newman (1925-2008) lay dying, he said to his daughters, "It's been a privilege being here." It's been a privilege having you with Siobhán and me.

Michael

siobhan rock.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.