“If we want to change the story of the human race in the 21st century, we need to change the stories we tell ourselves."
- Future Crunch magazine / medium.org
We all heard lots of bad news in the year past.
But what about the good things that happened...?
Here are just 9 of them:
1) In 2018, Humanity crossed a truly amazing threshold. For the first time since agriculture-based civilization began 10,000 years ago, the majority of humankind is no longer poor or vulnerable to falling into poverty.
(And since the year 2000, more than a billion people around the world have lifted themselves out of extreme poverty. - Source)
2) Global suicide rates have dropped by 38% since 1994, saving four million lives, four times the number killed in combat during the same time.
3) Following the collapse of ISIS, civilian deaths in Iraq decreased dramatically. 80% fewer Iraqis were killed in the first five months of 2018 compared to last year.
4) In the last generation, arrests of Californian teenagers have fallen by 80%, murder arrests by 85%, gun killings by 75%, imprisonments by 88%, teen births by 75%, school dropouts by half, and college enrolments are up by 45%.
5) The population of wild tigers in Nepal has nearly doubled in the last nine years.
6) In central Africa, the population of mountain gorillas, one of the world’s most endangered species, was reported to have increased by 25% since 2010.
7) Large rainforests in Ecuador were saved; deforestation was reduced by 60% in Indonesia; and Niger planted 200 million new trees in three decades, the largest positive transformation of the environment in African history.
8) The hole in the ozone lay will be fully healed over the Arctic & Northern Hemisphere by 2030.
9) Since 2010, global HIV/AIDS infection rates have fallen by 16% in adults and by 35% for children. In South Africa, home to the world’s largest population of people living with HIV, there has been a 44% decline in new infections since 2012. Most countries are now on track to eliminate infections by 2030.
Want to read some more? Please go to:
99 Good News Stories You Probably Didn’t Hear About in 2018
by Future Crunch magazine